Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Photos and Letters

So I picked up a copy of Photoshop. One of the nice things about working for an institution of higher education is the academic pricing. I saved a couple hundred dollars, but it was still about as much as a car payment.

The good news is that it is worth it. I've already got my layouts worked out and have figured out how to do titles and speech bubbles better than Comic Book Creator 2.0 ever could. For $50, though, CBC 2.0 is still a great deal for what it does, so I can't say too many bad things about it. If it were just a tad more versatile, Adobe wouldn't have my money.

Interestingly enough, I did some research on how the pros put down their panels, and it looks like inDesign is how they set it up, affordably priced at $199 for those of you in academia. My sense is that you can waste all your time building up tools and never make a product, so for now Photoshop will do.

The funny thing is that this has nothing to do with a-zombie. Single panel storytelling doesn't need a layout. What I'm working on is still zombie related, though, so I might as well post it here until we get more artwork.

I've been checking a great site on webcomics at, surprising enough, webcomics.com. They do strips, rather than pages, but their process carries over. There's a video on how Sheldon is created which is fascinating. Check it out.

No comments: